Sunday, January 16, 2011

Golden Globes 2011

I always like watching the Golden Globes; while it may not carry the "Prestige" (ha ha) of the Academy Awards, it always, or almost always, has a more personal, intimate, and often edgier feel. Certainly having Ricky Gervais host again added edgy this year. I like Ricky, and I like the fact that the Hollywood Foreign Press had him back this year, after he (supposedly) did jokes in 2010 they told him not to do. Kudos to the President of the HFPA, Robert Downey, and Tom Hanks for taking pot shots back at Ricky. Bruce Willis tried, but failed.

Regardless, I was quite surprised and a little disappointed over several of the early awards. Christian Bale getting the first award for Best Supporting set my teeth on edge a bit; certainly winning over Geoffrey Rush was utterly weird to me. Really? Christian playing an obnoxious loud mouthed drunk/drug addict was better than Geoffrey playing a speech therapist? Wow. OK. That was followed by “Carlos” getting the nod over “Pillars of the Earth” or “The Pacific”? Umm, sure, I guess…. I was getting a bit worried already. That was followed by Katey Segal winning for “Sons of Anarchy”, which wasn’t horrible ( I have only seen two episodes) but, beating out Kyra Sedgewick? Oh oh…

Then Chris Colfer won for “Glee”. Good for him. Although never having seen him anywhere BUT “Glee” I was I admit surprised to realize that the voice is not a character choice; he actually IS either a castrato, or the real voice behind Justin Beiber… that was followed by Steve Buscemi winning for “Boardwalk Empire”… and I thought he was there as part of the zombie horde for “Walking Dead”. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t actually expect “Walking Dead” to win…. I just wanted it to. Zombies never win anything.

The next two awards reset my hopes meter; “Burlesque” won for “You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me” (the theme for Cher’s upcoming final tour?) which is A) a really good song, and B) from a really good movie. The other songs were good strong contenders, and I could have lived with “Coming Home” or “Bound to You” also. Trent Reznor wins for “The Social Network” score! Yay! I love Trent Reznor… but to be honest… nah, I would have gone with “Alice”, or “Inception”.

I was really glad to see “Toy Story 3” win for animated. I also had to laugh over Justin being led out by the younger (and taller) Hailee Steinfeld ( I have no clue who she is, I even had to look up her name) which made him look dorkier and smaller in all ways than he is in person. I was right in my first reaction to seeing him throw down street gang sign backstage after his show in San Jose (where the audience were not allowed to have signs… WTF?). His only exposure to the street is having his hand held while he crosses. Anyway, “Toy Story 3” was a superb sequel, possibly the funniest and most touching of the trio. I just wish there was a way to also award “How to Train Your Dragon” which was wonderful, “Despicable Me” because I want some of those minions, and “Tangled”. I guess the nomination is sort of an award.

I hadn’t seen enough of the other nominees to have an opinion about the wins by Buscemi, Benning, Pacino or Lynch for TV shows. I was glad to see Claire Danes win for “Temple Grandin” though. It was not really an easy film to watch at many points; honestly, the only reason I did was because Claire was in it. (grin). Go Claire! Two for two! OK, David Strathairn was also a reason. The two of them really made this story work for me, and the personas just jumped off the screen. It’s the only reason I had to begrudge Colfer his award, because he beat out David. I was surprised and a bit disappointed to see “Social Network” beat out “The Kings Speech”, although Colin did take Best Actor, and I had been hoping that “Big Bang Theory” might win over “Glee” for best TV show, but seeing Sheldon get the award made that OK. Yay Sheldon! I also wanted Depp to win for “Alice”, but at least Paul Giamatti won, so that’s sort of OK. Paul is a brilliant actor. Having Natalie win for “Black Swan” was also good, although I had not seen any of the other nominees there either. I just really liked Black Swan. “Burlesque” losing out to “The Kids Are Alright” was also not a huge deal, though again seeing “Alice” win, or even “Red” would have been my preferences.

No comments: