Sunday, January 6, 2008

Driving with the Disengaged

Hmmm... a theme for my posts. "Blank with Blank". Yeah. That will either get very old very fast, or I will waste hours of my life searching for clever little titles. And/or not.

I really do enjoy driving. Especially now. I also enjoy the people whose world is always sunny and clear, those die-hard optimists who bring joy to the world about them. They are easy to spot; they are the ones driving with no lights in pouring rain. Today I had several opportunities to meet some of them, and to let them know I wanted to join their ranks, if even for a moment, by turning my own lights off and on. Sadly, most of them wanted to remain aloof and ignore my pleas. A few were kind enough to let me know they were friendly, by joining my gloomy world and turning their lights on too. There were even two who stopped to ask me what I wanted:
"Is there something wrong Scott?"
"No, you just don't have your lights on."
"Well, it's daytime..."
"I know, but it's raining. Like, really hard."
"Oh, is it? I hadn't noticed. Thanks so much for telling me!" vrooooom, and off they go. Goodbye, little happy person..... BOOM.

Oops. They blew up. How sad. But the light was pretty; I hope they thought so too.

I shall enshrine them, along with those remarkable people who can either see in the dark, or are able to use echo-location to drive at night.
"Ma'am, your lights are off!"
"Really? I didn't notice!"
"Yeah. That's why you had to drive so slow, and the world seemed so black, and you couldn't see anything inside the car, like your dashboard.... glad I could be of help."

That Boy Scout training really does stick with you. Well, time to go; I'm going to see if I can find some drivers I can demonstrate the pretty blinking dash lights for, that go left or right. That should be really easy, I'll just look for BMW's.

No comments: