Tuesday, January 15, 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it....

Today I saw an email from Ron, talking about cancelling his World of Warcraft account.

In a panic I ran outside and looked at the horizon. Hmmm. No images of giant horsemen. No ponies either.
There were no mushroom clouds forming.
The rain was just rainy, there seemed to be no animals mixed in. If there were any animals, how big would they be? Very small. I went back to sleep.
I checked the speeling of "tiger" on the internet. Nope, not spelled with a "y" now.
I looked at the sentence above, but "speeling" was just my typo, not an actual change, nor was I channeling Ron suddenly.
I looked quickly again at my car; it was still a Mustang, not a Prius.
My co-workers were not chanting "Cthulhu ftaghn!"
No one was rushing about frantically screaming "Fuck! Nyarlathotep! Run!" or even just"Fuck! Run!"

Baffled, I looked for more subtle changes. My hair was still long. I still thought Rumsfeld, Bush, Cheney, all of Homeland Security, and close to half the Congress and Senate were jerks, or highly paid low grade corrupt morons. The Celtic knot on my necklace had not changed to a cross, I was still wearing all black.... oops, the underwear is dark blue, but that was what I put on this morning, so that was OK..... the socks are still black. After checking my DNA, I was still carrying one X and one Y chromosome.

It then occurred to me Ron might be joking. This was, of course, slightly more probable than the end of the world coming. We did, after all, only watch one movie the other night.

No comments: